Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Today I start walking in earnest.  Last June I jumped on the walking train and hardly missed a day.  With fibromyalgia, I generally feel fatigued.  Walking is not something I would normally sign up for.  But I knew Rascal needed a walk, and I felt like a blob.  So I started slow and kept up the momentum.  Then we had an early snow and since Mayor Hickenlooper doesn't feel it is necessary to plow side streets, I didn't walk for a while.  Then another snow came and another.  And since I am pretty much a fair weather walker, I basically quit.

So today I start again.  I have been doing occasional walks but usually I had to force myself.  The only thing that works for me is to get up at 7am, immediately put on my walking clothes and get out the door. It really is lovely at that time of day and not too many other walkers are out.  I do a mile a day except on the weekends and my day off when I walk about 3 miles.  I feel better, ironically my pain is less and last year I lost some weight and toned up.  I expect that will happen this year also.  Getting outside first thing in the morning awakens me and puts me in a good mood.  That translates into a good mood at work, even when things get busy or patients are crabby and demanding.

Let's hear it for walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment