Saturday, June 12, 2010

Get Well Juji

Yesterday Juji, my 9 year old black pug had surgery.  It all started a month ago when awakened to spots of blood on my bedroom carpet.  After checking each dog, I discovered Juji had a big swollen red area on her bottom.  Since our usual vet, Planned Pethood Plus, closed their south Denver office, I decided it was time to find a closer provider.  After searching around, I found Hampden Family Pet Hospital, only minutes from my office.  I was able to get her in the same day with Dr. Melissa Etheridge.  Juji turned out to have an anal cyst and after 3 weeks of antibiotics, she recovered nicely.  ( My carpet did not.) 

An incidental finding during her exam revealed 2 small lumps that were mast cell tumors and a broken tooth with inflamed gums.  Since mast cell tumors can be malignant and spread, we elected to have them removed and take care of the tooth at the same time. I am not usually one to spend inordinate amounts of money on my pets, even for healthcare. But in this case. I thought if we could catch the tumor early, we could avoid a lot of pain and cost later on. If it did turn out that the tumors had spread, I had already decided on comfort management only.

So yesterday was surgery day.  Thanks to Dr. Etheridge and her staff, Juji did great.  She came home last night, a little stoned, but looking comfortable.  She slept great, I didn't, waking frequently to check on her.  This is Juji and her sister Lala this morning.  Actually, they look like this most days.  They are champion sleepers. 

We find out next week the extent of the tumors, but for now she is loving her soft diet of Little Caesar's Filet Mignon.  It's a dog's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment