Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Simple

I have been spending a bit of time reading about minimalism and simplicity.  It started years ago when I discovered the minimalist movement in design.  The clean lines, lack of clutter and utter simplicity in home design.  I loved it immediately even though it was not something I could embrace wholely for my own home.  I like the occasional beautiful thing on my wall or table.  But I did get rid of meaningless knick knacks and stuff.  I started keeping only items of beauty and meaning.  My home has artful pieces and gifts that express me. 

This summer I discovered several really great blogs that speak to minimalism.  These folks take simplicity in living to the extreme.  They rarely consume, have rid their homes of stuff, enjoy what they have, are grateful, forgiving and happy.  I took the opportunity during my time off this summer to begin to embrace this concept more wholeheartedly.  I cleaned out every drawer, closet, room.  I got rid of many bags of non-necessities.  I organized my craft room so that it is functional and streamlined.  And I vow to keep it organized and clean.  My table tops have fewer things on them, but the items present are ones I love.  If I don't love it, it goes.  And I don't bring in anything I don't love. 

The Minimalists, Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus have taken it to the extreme, in that Joshua has pared down his belongings to 123 items.  I don't have that as a goal, but I do like the idea of knowing what you possess and appreciating whether you need it in your life.  Perhaps it is a gender thing, but I love color and art too much to live such a spare and sparse life.  But these guys have unplugged, under-consumed, un-desired and unattached themselves so that they really enjoy their freedom and living. 

I like the idea of simplicity because it was what Jesus preached.  I always struggled with the rich young man that Jesus asked to give up his things.  I couldn't understand how Jesus could ask the apostles to go out preaching without extra sandals or money.  And I still struggle with that kind of absolute trust.

The past 30 years I have experienced a paring down of my life.  Like the layers of an onion being peeled away, till I discover my soul.  I have sought simplicity and humility in my work.  I have sought truth in my introvertness by eliminating engagements that exhaust me.  I have learned to live with pain by pacing myself so that I don't overdo it.  I had my spouse taken away so that my contentment can only come from within.  My children have grown and moved away so that I can't rely on them for fulfillment and satisfaction.

Some paring down is painful.  Some of it is joyful as I discover my true self.  It is an interesting process.  I don't know where it is leading other than to hopefully live more fully the gospel life. 

Thank you God for opening my eyes to a simpler life.

No comments:

Post a Comment