Sunday, July 8, 2012

I had such a lovely morning. I walked over to Caribou Coffee with Rascal, found a cool, shady spot to sit on their patio and ordered a large iced mocha and an apple fritter (since they were out of my most favorite treat, the french toast muffin).  I picked up a weekend Wall Street Journal and spent the next two and a half hours enjoying the quiet time to read the paper from cover to cover.  I don't know much about the financial ways of the world, but I do enjoy many of the articles in this paper.  The best sections are "Off Duty" and "Review".  Off Duty is clearly for the rich and famous, those hedge fund brokers and their trophy wives who just don't know how to spend their money.  The articles are outrageously preposterous in the material things they put on display.  I just have to wonder who thinks they need a $3200 scarf or $998 cotton blouse.  All the clothing and couture designers are featured at some point or other. I truly do not get those prices!  Even if one could aford it, why would a person waste that kind of money on clothes.  Even if it is fabulously made from the finest fabrics, how many wears are you conceivably going to get out of it.  I would likely get bored of it before it wore out.  And as far as fancy clothes go, most women I know, don't re-wear evening gowns and party dresses that often. 

I will say that I bought a fairly expensive dress made by the designer Teri Jon for Andrew and Sabrina's wedding.  My main goal in finding a dress was that it fit well.  I was willing to spend whatever it took, (within reason) to find a well fitting dress.  The second dress I tried on was IT. Those of you who know me, know I never pay retail.  But this was an exception to my rule.  I did manange to save $60 by ordering it directly from the designer instead of the retail shop.  Did it ultimately make a difference?  I have to say yes.  The fabric was just sublime.  It flowed around me like clouds.  It fit to a T, and wan't uncomfortable at all.  It seemed to make me stand up straighter, walk more erectly, and be confident. For that one day, I felt almost regal.   Do I need all my clothes to be this wonderful?  Definitely no.  I have lots of dresses I purchased on sale that make me feel wonderful and that have lasted a long time. If I could afford it would I buy more clothes from Teri Jon or other designers?  Maybe, but only on sale.   Besides, I'd constantly be worrying that I would spill something on them, which would make me enjoy them less.

Anyway, back to my Caribou morning.  I read the rest of the Review section, checking out books, movies, commentary and new ideas.  I had nowhere else to be that day and I savored every moment of my time at the coffee shop.  When I finally finished, I walked back home relaxed and ready to start working on my art room. 

I don't know why I don't treat myself to an outing like that more often.  I seem to wait until I think I deserve it for some reason.  That's another whole story, but for today, that extra special morning gave me a lovely memory to linger on.

No comments:

Post a Comment