Sunday, January 9, 2011

On Meditation

Starting out the new year with a resolution to work on meditating, which hasn't been going so well, I fell upon a lovely book called, Into the Silent Land: a Guide to Christian Contemplation by Martin Laird.  I prefer the term contemplation to meditation.  I gives me something to grasp on to.  While meditation to me means moving in nothingness, contemplation describes silently living with a focus, in my case, God. 

Laird says we are built for contemplation, like a flower is meant to bloom.  It is not a spiritual technique but rather something we till, a skill of interior silence.  This requires both stillness and awareness. Awareness I have been developing for years.  This stepping back and taking in, observing rather than speaking or doing. It makes me a better diagnostician and parent, friend and daughter.

Contemplation is something I can imagine.  My image comes from the picture I have of Tom in heaven.  I see him sitting at the feet of God, resting against Jesus, experiencing full joy in the love of God, the tenderness of Jesus.  Giving and receiving pure love, nothing blocking it, like sin or ego, because there has already been forgiveness and there can be no more sin.  Tom's being existing only in the simplest creation of God, soul. 
That vision, gives me a sense that I can experience that on earth through contemplation.  I desire nothing more of contemplation, not relaxation, stress reduction, or ease of life.  Contemplation exists, for me, only for the experience of loving God and being loved.

Nearly 20 years ago I was attending a Geriatrics convention, when, one afternoon, alone in my hotel room feeling lost and lonely,  I felt a need to define my Mission.  What evolved that afternoon was " I am a daughter of God, made to receive and give love".  That statement has carried me through many a difficult time and decision.  And at my life at it's very simplest, is all I have and ask for.  So contemplation, communing with God in love is a practice I long for. 

Why is it so difficult to practice Contemplation with God?  I think because God's image is so elusive.  Last evening, after viewing the movie The Tourist I had no difficulty contemplating Johnny Depp.  Those eyes, those lips, the smile that holds back.  Perhaps it is because I rely so much on the visual that I have such a difficult time contemplating God. So hopefully Martin Laird will guide me.  However, as we all know, no author or book can guide us if we don't practice.  To fulfill my resolution I need to set a time each day to practice.  There is my challenge.


A must see.




No comments:

Post a Comment