Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nothing More January

Happy First Week Of January,

I just read a little blurb that I think came from Southern Living (because my soul belongs in the South), called Nothing More January.  Following expensive December and the over indulgence of Christmas, can there really be anything more we need or want.  So the author advises no buying, except for necessities, in January. 

It's only 31 days, how hard can that be?  Well, I made it two days into January and bought a $20 ring.  Not so bad, but in only 5 days I can think of several things that I would like to get.  Little things I didn't get for Christmas.  But do I really need them?  I am sure I can live without them.  But I am so tempted.

But I am also tempted by the idea of starting out the new year with extra money in my savings.  When after Christmas sales prevail, it is enticing to get "a bargain". But it is also rewarding to step back and analyze if the item is really worth it.  Sometimes I make a decision by asking myself if, on my death bed, I will really be glad I bought it. 

It is also wise to separate necessity from desire.  I have often put off buying things like socks and underwear, even when mine are threadbare because I viewed them as a luxury.  I don't know where I got this bizarre notion, surely in my childhood, but it's ridiculous.  Sometimes I just have to step back and laugh. 

So here's to the challenge. 

I did think of a few more resolutions.

1.    Really part a. of # 5 from the last blog. Be on time at the office.  January 3 and I already failed that one.  I need to be on a schedule, because I helps my pain.  Early to be, early to rise.....  So since everyday is a new start, I successfully made it on time yesterday.  I just need to focus and be well rested. Which means I have almost no social life, but I am an introvert anyway, no big deal.

2.  Take up drinking.  I am seriously trying to be less of a bore.  I never drank in high school, college, or ever for that matter.  Tom called me a cheap date.  But on vacation last summer, when the owner of that French restaurant gave me a bit of dessert sherry, I realized it actually tasted good.  What an adult and luxurious thing to do.  So I am working my way up from dessert wine, to something a bit more substantial.  I bought an airplane size bottle of cognac and put about a T. in my eggnog this year and it really added flavor.  Of course I could have gotten the same effect from rum extract I suppose, but it was fun.  I am probably the only person who got 8 servings out of that airplane size bottle.  I do not like wine, unless it is very sweet. 

I had the opportunity to go to a bar with Andrew in Las Vegas.  I felt so grown up.  It was after dinner so I had a Bailey's Irish Cream on the rocks.  It was lovely just to sit there and sip that with my elder son.  It was such a relaxed setting and we could just sit and talk.  Such a rare opportunity. 

So now I am planning to by a bottle of something a month. Mostly creamy drinks.  The boys gave me a martini shaker and a book called 500 Cocktails.  So the adventure begins.  Let me know if you want to go to an early bird dinner and have a drink afterwards so I can be home by 8pm and get to bed so I can be on time for work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment