Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year's Eve

A New Year is about to begin.  I find the counting down very exciting.  Even though I never stay awake to midnight.  Since I don't, I am amazed at awakening in a whole new year.  2011.  We made it through the first decade of the new year. 

When I have patients who lived during the first couple of decades of the 1900's, I always look at them with amazement.  How does one capture the experience of living when work was hard and the rewards were simple?  What do they think of the past 80-90 years?  I love their stories.  While I wouldn't have liked using an outhouse, I would have liked being free of cell phones and computers. I imagine decisions were simpler with fewer options available.

Assuming I live till 80, what will I be doing on 12.31.2045?  What will have changed during those 35 years?  How will I compare that to my childhood in the 1960's?  Will things become simpler or more difficult?

Not to get maudlin, it's just that these concepts bring out the curiosity in me.  The possibilities still seem endless. 

Have you prepared your resolutions.  I used to make lots of resolutions.  I would work on them vigorously and tick them off my list.  More recently, I create just a few general ones.  Most of them come from my theme for the coming year.

2010's themes were "Fearlessness" and "Hope".   I felt really hopeless last January. I found hope in moving my office and home,, decorating, planning and experiencing the new.  My interests grew and I have something to look forward to, thanks be to God.  I am Fearless, because since becoming a widow, I feel intrepid.  I have a "don't mess with me attitude".  My themes worked will for me.  God guided me. 

Tomorrow, I will share my theme(S) and resolutions.  In the meantime, have a fantastic eve of the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment